Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On the drink again! or more alcohol ink techniques.....

Since I have had my blog, I have made much more artwork than I ever did, and this week I planned a project using alcohol inks, limited edition stamps on promotion, and the Stampbord blocks. It was all planned in my head, and then I had a phone call from Calvin which set me thinking....
He asked about the new Tim Holtz masks, and we got talking, and one thing led to another, and the complicated masking project that I had in my head suddenly got easier! I remembered about the batik technique using clear embossing powder, and wondered how it would work with alcohol inks and Stampbord. It works beautifully!
I started with this piece, using the new simple swirls on gold paper, embossed them in clear and dabbed alcohol ink over the embossing. Then I laid a piece of paper or you can use kitchen towel, on top of the artwork, and using the iron on a high setting I ironed until the embossing powder had been removed. I didn't move the iron too much, but it did take a couple of goes! You can see the effect really well.
Then I moved onto a smaller version of what I eventually wanted to make. This is an ATC sized stampbord, and I did 2 versions. The one with alcohol ink had a lighter layer of green and yellow underneath, and then I embossed on top. Then you layer again on top after embossing with more alcohol ink. When the embossing is removed, you get a lighter colour , not white, as in the one with distress inks.
                                    Distress inks Pre-Ironing           Distress inks technique
Stampbord ATC with Alcohol ink and embossed on top
The residue from ironing ( I love this piece)
Finally I made the bigger version, but I am not totally enamoured with it, but it was good experiment in embossing, and the use of alcohol inks!


Stampbord Block with Alcohol inks and Batik
I do hope you like the technique and although it is not a new one, has endless possibilities.

10 comments:

Calv said...

Hi Jennie, what a fantastic result! I'll definately be giving this a go over the next few days. Your swirls are just a perfect addition to the piece. Nice one! :)

June said...

This is a new one on me Jennie, And i love it. Fabulous idea and something a little different to do with alcohol inks. thanks so much for this.
Hugs June xxx

Rachelxx said...

Love this Jennie! I must experiment more with my alcohol inks :-)

Ann said...

WOW Jennie - these are stunning, I love the colours, they're so vibrant!! I must have a play with my inks - doubt they'll be a patch on yours tho'!!! xxx

June said...

Jennie its just me again. Please do enter my jigsaw challenge as i am new to challenges and would like to pass the word on for this one as there is a prize. I am currently working on my object d'art peice and am still peeling glue from my fingers lol
Hugs June xxx

maddy hill said...

oh Jenny loving the art work !!!!!! wow , very creative techniques , love the batik and what fantastic colours - really special !

Becki and Alan said...

Ooh - I love this idea! Guess what I'm going to be trying over the weekend!

Becki
xx

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Glad you like the technique, maybe I should do tutorials in pics for it?
Jennie x

WendyK said...

What a great idea, must try that. Fabulous results.

Kristin said...

I absolutely love this technique, thanks for sharing.