Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What do you give a man for his birthday?

Today is my DH's, Mal, birthday and he is old enough to know better and young enough to have a bit of fun! I never know what to give him, so I decided to make him a little treat! It may be a little risque, but the mould has always been one of my favourites, and had been used quite often in the past for various projects and presents.
I used some utee that I had had a while,( hardened in a bag) and remelted it. Don't ask what colours are in it, but the base colour appeared to be a verdigris type of colour , and I thought that it went really well with the mould. I set wire in the back while it was hardening, and mounted it onto a piece of mountboard ( cut-offs from my local framing shop, cheap as chips!)
I then poured utee over the edges of the wire which was protruding to hold it onto the board. Then to make it look old and more"grungy", I stamped immediately into it with one of Mr Holtz's stamps from Slight Alterations set. To get a bit more colour on the torso, I added peeled paint distress ink, but it didn't dry.. so added some distress stickles too in peeled paint and vintage photo with my finger, and it transferred the ink over the body , and then I also rubbed it over the edges of the board. A little bit went into the screw brads too. The idea-ology chain finished it off.
Aptly named Embrace Imperfection ( also one of Tim's stamps), I was rather pleased with the finished hanging.
I think my DH liked it also, ( well let's put it this way, he wouldn't tell me otherwise, would he?)
Happy Birthday Mal -love you lots

14 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh wow that's fabulous - I wouldn't dare give my Hubby something like that (he'd embrace me as his Imperfection, rofl)

Great work!!
Love
Nic xx

Mixing-Katie said...

Men are so difficult!!

Lovely wallhanging!

Robin said...

Fabulous piece Jennie!

Calv said...

Happy Birthday Mal!!! :)

Great prezzy Jennie, Maddy made me a UTEE'd bookmark last year for my birthday and i loved it. It's nice gettoing presents with a bit of thought in them.

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous Jennie, the torso looks like a piece of jade! Happy birthday Mal!

Joanie Hoffman said...

This turned out really well!
Happy days,
Joanie

Minxy said...

OMG Jennie, this is absolutly stunning, i adore it, and i'm sure Mal did too, happy birthday to him x

lottie said...

That is stunning, I love the layers, and textures.

I presume you modelled for the torso!

LOL

Linda . J said...

Wow Jennie I love it, its so for a man, great job. Happy Birthday to your hubby.
Hugs Linda

UK STampers Cyber Blog said...

Love the grungey look of this artwork Jennie, I agree with Troggy, it does look like Jade...Happy Birthday to Mal too..hope he had a great day xx

Shazza said...

WOW this is fantastic Jennie
x

Amy said...

Ok thats cool! my hubby wouldnt know what to do with it...he would also embrace me as his imperfection lol and he would be like are you serious! haha beautiful work!

Nicki said...

wow thats fantastic, and i bet he loved it? its brilliant
Nicki
x

Erin Toner said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Jennie, I love it and I'm sure your hubby does too! xx