Monday, July 06, 2009

More beach...

We seem to be travelling to beaches this month, not that I am complaining....the sea always has a pull for me. On Saturday we went to one of the South East's more remote areas..Romney Marsh, a weird but wonderful place by Dungeness Power Station, which in my mind's eye is scary and large. But the beach and surrounding area is remote, windswept and stony and has great views and wildlife. I saw a lot of miniature butterflies and fauna that I have no idea of the names! There is a miniature steam railway, (I used to take the children on this when they were small) and 2 lighthouses, and a pub, and not much else! The houses are beautiful , built from wood, and set alone with great views of the sea, some with gardens made from beach combing stuff (oh could you make altered art from it all) well actually it is altered art but in a garden! I forgot to take the camera so used the Blackberry and was amazed at how good the pics were.
I hope I have captured the essence of this place. We visited a studio there.. just a couple of huts, but boy I am thinking of moving there just to have a studio in the middle of nowhere.. would you come and visit?
I did pick up a few bits of driftwood and some broken shells and they are sitting by my desk, hoping I will get some inspiration from them!! The mojo seems be on holiday in the sun this week!

5 comments:

camcraft said...

Oh Jennie. You have for me brought back many happy memories of trips to the essex coast. I used to take the my 2 girls when they were young, Romney March/ dungeness was somwhere we often visited. Havn't been for yrs. it was lovely to see your pics. and you describe dungeness to a tee, just how I remember it.
Carole

lottie said...

I just love that beach - its really wild isn't it and the works of art on it are amazing - you have captured it beaustifully.

Hels Sheridan said...

Oh I just love Dungeoness and all the beauty of the bleakness of it....it is really stunning there...did you get up the lighthouse? Last time we were there I climbed those steps and needed oxygen at the top LOL I love the little railway too...so cute! Hugs hun x

June said...

That takes me back to my youth...I stayed at St Marys Bay one year with my school and we did a sponsored walk that ended at Dungeness lighthouse and the RH&D railway we roade on a lot and of course the legend of the local highwayman was it Dr Sym?
Fab pictures
June x

Paddy said...

Thanks for visiting and for the link, see you another time on the beach...

Paddy