Friday, May 21, 2010

Sew and sew!

This week, seems to me like I am in sewing mode! well not quite, but I have yet to pick up a sewing needle, but I have come across some brilliant finds! On Monday I found an amazing tin full of mother of pearl buttons, and on Wednesday I was looking at Freecycle ( the best forum in the world for finding unwanted goods) and someone very kindly was goving away some sewing machines. Now, don't get me wrong, I have a sewing machine, which is perfectly good, old but good, touch wood, and which I use when necessity takes, but I have wanted a sewing machine for the workshop, which really I can set up and leave and which requires no knowledge at all, and I am hoping I have found it. It is old, but not electric, so I can use it without plugging it in, and it will do simple stitches. ( excuse the pictures as they were taken in situ, amongst what used to be known as my kitchen! as we opened it!) But the most amazing thing about it, is what was with it!
 There hidden in the end box was a VERY large mother of pearl button! This baby is 65cm wide, and next to it is the smallest set of needles in the most gorgeous of paper covers. Added to this was some old lace, and I have yet to go through the rest of the box. So even if the sewing machine is useless, it was worth it for the finds!!

So go on tell me what you have found recently.. would love to hear...
Hugs

11 comments:

flutterbycrafter said...

Wow, what a great find, and what a brilliant idea to go on Freecycle, never thought of doing that. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Sid said...

What a fantastic suprise, to find all that fab stuff ! Lucky you.

Annie said...

What a fab find. Not sure how I would cope with a hand machine now but I do love all the little extras that came with it. :-)
A x

Sarah Anderson said...

Oh wow Jennie, I'm so jealous!!! Of the machine AND the finds - gorgeous! Even if it doesn't work, the machine'll look good on a shelf. Never heard of Freecycle so off to check it out :)

Crissi Harvey said...

oh wow im so jealous i have wanted one of those like for ever i cant do electric machines they scare the pants of me and just wizz off go wonkey and do there own thing LOL, what a great find and all the bits and bobs to

Jan Hennings said...

Love the huge button and the lace:)
My most recent find was a bunch of vintage postcards and old photo's!

whyducks said...

Good find the Jennie look forward to seeing what you are going to do with it.

Unknown said...

What a lovely surprise you found in there. My most recent find was two pattern books from the 50s.

Minxy said...

What a super cool machine.. and yummy secret finds... I've not found anything truely exciting in ages.. guess i should get out more lol

Erin said...

Amazing! How exciting to find such wonderful things! :)

Heavenly Anarchist said...

I am so jealous! Of both the machine and the hidden goodies!
We take our singer handcrank to a festival with my altered clothing store and do impromptu teeshirt refashioning! It's such a handy thing and so easy to use.